Salads in a jar are the perfect bites of goodness you need to get through the day. They’re quick and easy to make, and promote healthy portion sizes. Today we’re going to put a spin on an Italian favorite. The Caprese salad is a simple salad made of basil, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. You can add extra ingredients such as salt and extra virgin olive oil for an added zest of flavor.
- 4 Small Mason Jars. Preferably the Aladdin Classic Mason Salad Jar
- 5 cups cherry tomatoes
- 5 cups pearl mozzarella or 4 (9 oz) mozzarella balls
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Distribute the basil, mozzarella and tomatoes in four separate jars.
- Add the salt to your taste specifications and finish it off with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Seal the jars tightly and refrigerate.
Jarred Salads Tip:
Who likes soggy lettuce ? No one. That’s why storing your salad in a glass jar is the best way to prevent your lunch from getting mushy before noon hits. When making a jarred salad put the dressing at the bottom of the jar, heavier vegetables in the middle and the lettuce on top for the best results. These type of salads tend to have a lot of extra moisture floating around, so purchase a jar with a separate dressing compartment to compensate. If you don’t have a jar like this you can also put a paper towel square on top to absorb the moisture.